In FY11, we made contributions worth around ¥196,450,000 (approx. €1,740,000) to our local communities. Our grants helped the arts, medicine, welfare, job creation and urban renewal. By region, Europe and Japan accounted for 90 percent of this total. The bulk of the remainder was spent on activities in South America and South East Asia.
- The Group and its employees rallied to help those affected by the March 2011 Japan earthquake
- A fundraising campaign was organized by employees, with a matching Company contribution, to help an orphanage in Selangor affected by the landslide in May 2011 (Malaysia).
- Employees in the north-west of England organized events and collections throughout the year in support of the Willowbrook Hospice for terminally-ill patients in St Helens (UK).
- Vidrios Lirquén marked the anniversary of the Company’s foundation with employee initiatives to help local institutions related with children at risk and care for the elderly (Chile).
- The Group’s operations in Toledo, OH are long-term supporters of the United Way charitable foundation, with employee and Company support totaling $169,000 in 2010 (USA).
Support for education and training
- NSG Group sponsored a delegate from Brazil to the 2011 ‘One Young World’ summit, held in Zurich (Switzerland).
- Sponsors of the Royal College of Art Vehicle Design Award (UK), now in its 24th year.
- Nippon Sheet Glass Foundation for Materials Science and Engineering (Japan).
- Sponsors of the Arkwright Scholarship scheme for students of technology (UK).
Cooperation with business groups
- Supporter of the Sumitomo Foundation (Japan).
- Membership of Business in the Community (UK).
- Nippon Keidanren 1 percent Club (Japan).
- Founder member of ‘Glass for Europe’ grouping of European flat glass manufacturers (Belgium).