Group at a Glance
- A global glass leader
- Sales of JPY 629,172 million in FY16
- Ownership/interests in 26 float lines worldwide
- Global Automotive customer base
- Leading player in lenses for multi-function printers
- Strong position in glass fiber products worldwide
- Around 27,000 permanent employees globally
- Principal manufacturing operations in 28 countries; Sales in 130+ countries
The Group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of glass and glazing systems in three business areas: Architectural; Automotive; and Technical Glass.
Founded in 1918, NSG acquired the leading UK-based glass manufacturer Pilkington plc in June 2006. Today, the Company has combined sales of just over JPY 629 billion, with manufacturing operations in 28 countries and sales in 130 countries, employing some 27,000 people worldwide.
In FY 2016, Architectural accounted for 42 per cent of Group sales, Automotive 50 per cent, and Technical Glass 8 per cent.
The Group has major market shares in most building and automotive product markets of the world, with a broad geographic reach, enabling it to respond to customers whose Operations, particularly in the case of Automotive OE, are increasingly global.
Geographically, 38 per cent of the Group's sales are in Europe, 24 per cent in Japan and 20 per cent in North America, with the remaining 18 per cent being generated mainly in South America, China and South East Asia.